Do you need a new mobile phone contract, but are still satisfied with your current smartphone? Would you like a high-end television as an encore instead? o2 has a very interesting offer up its sleeve, where you can get a 4K OLED TV from LG on top of the tariff. We look at the offer and calculate why it is worth it.
Are you looking for a new mobile phone tariff with a decent volume of data and a modern TV set with excellent picture quality? This is what this offer from O2 promises. At the o2 Free M tariff including telephone, SMS flat rate and 20 GB of data in LTE and 5G network is there a 55 inch OLED TV from LG with numerous refinements, a smart TV system, apps for all common streaming providers and the excellent Magic Remote, which works like a mouse and supports voice control. All at one really good price. We illuminate the offer from all sides.
Information and specifications about the LG OLED
LG’s OLED televisions belong to the creme de la creme when it comes to picture quality. Big advantage of OLED: The pixels are not illuminated from the back, as is the case with LCD-based screens, but light up themselves. Therefore, they can perfect black represent, have intense colors and excellent side viewing angles. In the trade, OLED TVs are usually expensive, at o2 you can get a 55-inch OLED model with a mobile phone contract. The model offered here is with 55 inches Generously sized for almost all living rooms and belongs to LG’s A1 class. The magazine AudioVision awards the grade for the model 85 % and a “test winner” badge.
The most important data on the television offered in the summary.
- Model: LG OLED55A19LA
- Model year: 2021
- Display: YOU ARE
- Displaygröße: 55 inches / 139 cm
- Resolution: 4K (3,840 × 2,160)
- HDR: Ja, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Pro, HLG
- Refresh rate: 50/60 Hz
- Operating system: LG webOS 6, including apps for Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV + etc.
- Connections: 2 × USB 2.0, 3 × HDMI 2.0 (including 1 × eARC, HDMI-CEC supported), CI + 1.4, Ethernet, WLAN, S / PDIF
- Tuner: Analog (NTSC/PAL/SECAM), DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-C, DVB-S2
- Energy efficiency class: G (usual consumption 91 kWh per 1,000 hours)
- Support: Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple AirPlay 2, Apple HomeKit, Miracast
- Other features: Alpha7 Gen4 processor 4K for image enhancement, Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) for gaming, 2.0 sound system with 20 W and Dolby Atmos support, LG Magic Remote control
- Network: o2 Telephone
- Rate: o2 Free M 20 GB
- Contract term: 24 months (alternatively 36 or 48 months possible)
- SMS: Flat in German networks
- Telephony: Flat rate in German networks, VoLTE / Wifi calling possible
- Data: 20 GB per month included, LTE / 5G
- Speed: max. 300 Mbit / s download, max. 50 Mbit / s upload (after reaching the included volume: max. 32 kbit / s)
- EU-Roaming: included
In the video we explain how to recognize a good offer for a mobile phone contract:
Calculated – why the offer is worth it
A minimum contract period of 36 months (3 years) is pre-selected on the O2 side. Even if this increases the monthly fee, we recommend to switch to 24 monthsas is common practice with most cell phone contracts – overall you get so much cheaper. Our information also relates to the contract with a minimum term of 24 months. Here is our bill:
- Monthly charges: 24 × 49,99 Euro
- one-time costs: 80.89 euros (1 euro additional payment + 39.90 shipping + 39.99 connection fee)
→ Calculated total costs over 24 months: 1,280.65 euros
- optional: Change bonus for number portability: 20 × -5 euros = -100 euros
- Current best online price for the television including shipping, according to idealo: 879 euros
- arithmetically: pure contract costs (1,280.65 euros – 879 euros) = 401.65 euros or monthly 16.74 euros
- if you take your number with you: pure contract costs totaling 301.65 euros or 12.60 euros per month
If you calculate the value of the television, you get a monthly price of just under 17 euros for the tariff, respectively just under 13 eurosif you take your old cell phone number with you. In return, you get a telephone and SMS flat rate in the German mobile networks and the fixed network as well as 20 GB of data volume including 5G connectivity. That’s a good price, especially if you pocket the bonus for number portability.
Are there any catches?
No catch, but things you should be aware of.
- Terminate your mobile phone contract at the earliest possible point in time, preferably immediately after signing the contract. Otherwise you will pay more than necessary if you forget to cancel in time.
- The television has an excellent picture quality. Please note, however, that this is a device from the A1 series and thus LG’s OLED entry-level model. It has no HDMI 2.1 connections and a maximum frame rate of “only” 50/60 Hz. Movies and series look optimal on it and in principle the television is also well suited for games with PS5 / Xbox Series, but the device does not support all of them extended possibilities of the new console generations (High Frame Rates / VRR).
- We do not recommend purchasing the contract with the intention of reselling the television and thus getting the tariff itself arithmetically cheaper. Because: A 55-inch TV comes in a fairly large package and is a freight forwarder, so reselling it is impractical because it involves high shipping costs.